Thursday, February 14, 2008

So that's how they're gonna play it...

After looking at the new update teaser (yeah I call them teasers... because more likely than not, they end up being disappointing in the end), I can kinda see where SE is going with the storyline and mission layout for Wings of the Goddess. It seems as though they are going to have 3 parallel storylines with Windurst/Bastok/San d'Oria, which you can easily go through all three of them at any time you want without having to go through complicated nation changes and so on.

This kinda bugs me, tbh.

While so far I like the story presentation and the fact that you can instantly hop from one to another, it kinda feels like your standard episodic storyline here. By that, I mean cliffhangers and waiting 2 months for 15 minutes of story. I mean easily, a direct story is probably the least of anyone's concern in any MMORPG, and I'm not too much for the story in FFXI. What kind of upsets me is the fact that you have this feeling that nothing new is gonna came out of all this. I mean, they imply new areas with the beastmen areas being unlocked in the next update but honestly, I want to see something different, not something old and revamped. I think WotG did it right with Campaign because it was new and different but other than that, remaking zones is not gonna keep people's interest all that long, especially when these zones have nothing of interest to do outside of campaign, not even any fancy high leveled NMs to speak of.

Now I will admit, when CoP came out, there wasn't really much offered to the table on the first month. You just had Promies, a few new zones (which were nice) and Tavnazia Safehold. Of course, this was during the time where the PS2 users just came on that same exact year and a lot of people were still in the leveling phase.

What do I want to see in the next few updates? Honestly, I can't answer that question. The reality is that I feel that FFXI is already scraping the bottom of the barrel here, in fact I feel it has been doing so since ToAU, heck, even more so in CoP. Honestly, new content will have to be just that, NEW content. I don't think revamping or making slight adjustments is going to please a lot of people, but I do feel that SE was doing a great job updating ToAU and actually taking some risks. For example, the 2 handed weapons overhaul. Yes, it got really broken to the point where some jobs aren't even the same any more but at least they did it and readjusted it. It made the game feel fresh and I like that. I like to see different things happen to the world that we're used to.

Anyways, it is still only early Feb and the patch comes out March. When March rolls around though, I hope that something spiffy and new comes out that will be over hyped.

No comments: