Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sitting at Sky... thinking, "Why?"

I mean, it becomes a never ending rant but whatever, I'm stuck in Sky and I'll rant about Sky. >.>;

After doing Sky for god knows how long, I'm surprised that it still has its exciting moments, at least to me. Its boring otherwise. There's really nothing up here other than Groundskeepers, Aura Statues, and Aura Pots, not to mention all the Gods and NMs. Everything else just gets in the way or impedes your progress. Thankfully, at least on Cerberus and Carbuncle, the whole RMT problem doesn't exist any more and Pop Items aren't so much of a pain to farm now. Which is good because now entry level LSes can start building up their members without having to spend years to properly equip themselves.

After doing Sky roughly twice a week for nearly 2 years, I'm surprised I didn't cry out in horrible horrible disgust. It could be the fact that when I started doing Sky as my own linkshell (DownRightFierce in Cerberus), Sky was mainly a zone that people avoided due to RMT. At the time, SE started to introduce the Special Task Force and while some people mocked it, it looked like they did their job in eradicating the RMT in most places, especially in Sky for my servers. I also went through the entire development of Sky. At that time, I would have never expected things such as Ulli's pop conditions to be changed. It was probably one of the most annoying things up in Sky when you have a mob with a 4-12? hour lottery spawn condition. Of course now it is still a pain in the ass to get Ulli due to the Diorite's drop rate being so low but now at least instead of being controlled by things that people could exploit, it is now simply luck based.

When I compare Sky and Sea together, I prefer doing Sea because its different. However, the drops in Sky are just so much better overall than what you get in Sea. It also doesn't help that Sea also has some really bad drop rates in itself. I've only seen one Justice Torque drop in my entire FFXI career and I think I've done about a good 20+ or so. Sadly enough... I want one! >.>;

But going back to Sky. Ever since I joined Unforgiven in Carbuncle, my time in Sky has been MUCH more limited than back in DRF. We really only do Sky so much that I often forget that we do Sky as a linkshell. Every time I go up there now, its more and more of a drag because the way that we do Sky in Unforgiven is too uniformed for me. Its like, we kinda do things in a way that makes it boring for me because its "too" organized at times. Luckily for me today, Liseth was there to keep me company. What makes this different from before is that Liseth was there in Sky with me, just not communicating through tells.

Contrary to Popular Belief: Moggie does not sleep laying down.


Sky, to me, just became one of those things where you just go up with a small group of people, small-man as much as you can and then bring out a linkshell to handle the tougher mobs... but even then, 18 is the most you'll ever need and that's even bringing more than enough at times. Of course this can't be said to linkshells that are just starting off with NQ gear and without all the skills acquired throughout the many months of playing in end game.

People have asked me if Sky is really "End Game." It is but often times, I see so many people discouraged from doing Sky after their first few days and that kinda stops them from doing other end game stuff because they think Sky is "the" end game thing. It is one of the first few things that you will encounter as you do end game but it is far from being the only thing and far different from the rest of the stuff that you will do as you do end game.

Otherwise, there were a lot of drama that involved Byakko's Haidate and Kirin's Osode. Thankfully, that isn't too much of a problem now as it was before. But to those that got screwed out of Haidate or Osode from their LS in these current times, remember that you guys have it so much easier now, just stick with it and you'll get it eventually. Then once you do... then you go find another linkshell. :P

No comments: